Chemonics International Inc., a leading international consulting firm based in Washington, DC, has been contracted by USAID to manage FEWS NET’s technical and field activities. Chemonics seeks applications from qualified and experienced South Sudanese professionals to fill one full-time Food Security Specialist (FSS) position in Juba, South Sudan.
The main activities of the FSS include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and updating seasonal food security and nutrition monitoring plans and conducting rapid assessments based on these plans
• Reporting on assessment findings related to the food security, nutrition, and livelihoods situations and preparing associated technical trip reports and technical written and oral briefing information
• Monitoring changes in the income, expenditure, and consumption patterns of specified populations and the associated impacts of these changes on their livelihoods
• Participating in multi-agency humanitarian needs assessments as necessary, and providing verbal and written briefings during the field trip and/or upon returning from the field on the food security and nutrition situation of the area assessed
• Participating in and contributing to FEWS NET’s regular FSO and scenario development processes, contingency planning, and other similar activities
• Contributing to maintenance and updating of the FEWS NET’s knowledge base in the country where they work. This knowledge base is composed of, at a minimum, livelihood zone profiles, commodity trade flow maps, sub-national • seasonal monitoring calendars, a commodity price database, a nutrition database, and other technical databases covering rainfall, agricultural production, population, historical assistance flows, etc.
• Providing high quality and effective early warning of threats to food security and supporting efforts to mitigate food insecurity and prevent food crises through the effective communication of actionable food security and nutrition analysis
• Implementing, in collaboration with the FEWS NET NTM, aspects of the country’s network development plan within the context of the project’s network development strategy
• Collaborating with national, regional, and international partners in food security and nutrition monitoring and analysis through the implementation of the Integrated Phase Classification (IPC) protocols
• Contributing to efforts to collect, archive, analyze, and share food security and nutrition data and information
• Organizing the documentation and files of the project and updating all essential data used in early warning and food security and nutrition monitoring and assessment
• Contribute to the fulfillment of monthly reporting requirements, including FSOs, FSO Updates, and key messages, and providing up-to-date data and information for regular briefings to the US Government and other partners
• Contributing to other FEWS NET information products as required locally and at all other levels
• Contributing to FEWS NET’s overall methods development and testing
• Other related tasks as assigned
Interested candidates should fill out the general information form and upload their CV and a cover letter to: https://fewsnet.formstack.com/forms/southsudan_fss by July 18, 2018.